This morning as I woke up I looked out the bedroom window and watching the fan blades on our fan spin I thought to myself… am I like a fan blade? It wasn’t until I began writing this message that I fully understood what the Lord was trying to tell me…
“For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12 NIV 1984
Any good fan will have between four and six blades, it is in this construction (plus electricity) that the blades CUT through the air and circulate the air in the room making us cooler. While there is a sort of vacuum action taking place, it is much less about vacuuming and much MORE about cutting. It is with this thought that I have come to the conclusion that Christians need to CUT MORE.
CUTTING INTO THE WORD
If you have ever made a pie crust you will know exactly what it means to “cut into” something. Using two blades a cook will “cut” the butter into the flour that the recipe requires. Cutting into the flour and blending the dough through a series of cuts is what makes the pie crust airy and soft. The butter makes the crust flaky and golden, and the pie crust cooks evenly. Our Bible time should BE about “cutting” into the Word! Ask yourself these questions:
- Is my Bible reading time boring?
- Do I eagerly desire to spend time in God’s Word?
- Do I WANT to share with others what I have learned/read?
- Am I repeating the same prayer/passage over and over out of habit?
Depending on your answer to these questions, will determine wether or not you are “cutting into” the Word or merely sucking up the Word. We know that faith without works is dead, and if you continue to “suck” up your Bible time you aren’t going to make a difference in your environment.
FAN vs VACCUUM
While a fan cuts through the air, a vacuums sole purpose is to “suck and containerize”. While the area being sucked gets clean, the environment around the appliance doesn’t change. That vacuum sucks and sucks until it can’t suck any more and unless it is emptied it stops sucking all together! It has a bag of dirty trash sitting inside it and it goes nowhere. Am I suggesting the Word is “dirty trash”? NO! But the same word over and over again that never gets used will be of little or no effect!
“So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11 ESV
The Bible says that God’s Word MUST return to Him! How does His Word “return to Him”? By faith! By your words! Each time you dig into the Word and find something you are excited to read, you receive it in your heart and speak it from your mouth! Speaking that Word is like a fan cutting through the air, the air circulates and CHANGES the environment! Does your environment need to change?! Change your air!
It is time for us believers to stop sucking on a dry word and holding it in our systems. It is time that we begin again cutting through the Word and find in it what we NEED: healing, prosperity, joy, peace of mind… its all in there – now go and get it! CUT INTO IT!
TIPS TO GET YOU CUTTING INTO THE WORD AGAIN
- Go for a walk in the morning having downloaded onto your Mp3 some podcasts from preachers like: Joyce Meyer, Gloria or Kenneth Copeland, Jesse Duplantis, Joseph Prince, Billy Graham, etc… (If you do not have an Mp3, you can purchase CD’s through their websites)
- Start reading the Bible in a version you can understand, the Message Version is excellent as is the ESV, NIV and NAS
- Look in the Bible for topics that are pertinent to you. In the back of the book look for healing, prosperity, success, peace, joy… etc. and find out what God says. You can also use bible.cc as a topical word search.
- Reread the book of John, including Jesus’ sacrifice.
- Reread the stories of your youth (I LOVE the book of Genesis for inspiration)
- Find books by your favorite Preachers that can guide you through specific principles, some authors we have are: John C. Maxwell, Miles Monroe, Robert Schuller, Og Mandino, Edwin Louis Cole, Norman Vincent Peale, Chip Ingram, Billy Graham and Dr. Creflo Dollar.
If reading the Word has become boring to you, or maybe you don’t think you have the time… chances are you haven’t been that excited about it. The Word IS sharper than any two edged sword when you use it… hopefully you will begin using it TODAY!
Have a most blessed day in your enthusiasm of the Word! May He cut through the garbage in your life and SUPERNATURALLY restore to you what once was yours!!
As a community of believers, we always welcome your comments and replies!